OPEN WATER SELECT CAMP
USA Swimming offers 24 of the country's best distance swimmers the opportunity for a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is an integral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water and then to the international scene.
Description and Purpose:
The 2017 National Open Water Camp will be held June 6-10, 2017 in Ft. Myers, FL. USA Swimming seeks to identify the best distance swimmers, offering them a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is viewed as an integral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water, then to the international scene.
8 male and 8 female athletes will be selected off of the top 2016 times in the Swims database in the 1500 meter freestyle. An additional 4 male and 4 female athletes will be selected off of the results of the 2016 5K National Open Water Championships.
- Only Long Course times are considered.
- Qualification timeframe: January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
- Athlete must be registered with USA Swimming.
- All athletes must be US citizens.
- Athletes who have previously attended a National Open Water Select Camp or have been a member of any USA Swimming National Open Water Team are not eligible for Camp. Athletes can attend one National Open Water Select Camp. An athlete who turns down the opportunity would be eligible the following year if he/she still meets the criteria. An athlete who accepts the invitation and does not attend is not eligible the following year unless an alternate was able to attend in his/her place,
The camp will be held at Florida Gulf Coast University in Ft. Myers, FL.
The 2017 camp dates are June 6-10, 2017.This year's camp will focus on the skills & strategies with a training focus. Athletes will learn strategies, OW technique, nutrition and recovery for open water, and much, much more from elite Open Water coaches.
USA Swimming will select the staff for each camp. At least one male and one female assistant must be on the staff. In addition, one National Open Water Team athlete will attend the camp and at least one member of the USA Swimming National Headquarters staff will attend to assist with educational sessions. The staff will be announced when the team is set, however, appointment is contingent upon passing all required background screens.
This year’s 2017 National Open Water Select Camp Staff is: TBD
USA Swimming Staff/Camp Director: Morgan Weinberg
The 2017 Camp will include pool workouts, open water lake sessions, in addition to educational sessions. Athletes and coaches are required to stay the entire time and must stay onsite in the accommodations provided by the host. Tentative itinerary coming soon.
For more information please email Camp Director Morgan Weinberg here.