SAFE SPORT COMMITTEE
George Geanon (2017), Chair
Patrick Brennan (2017)
Constance Faling (2017)
Melissa Gann (2018)
John Ingram (2018)
Anne Kaufman (2020)
Paul Lundsten (2019)
Trish Martin (2018)
Meaghan Murphy (2017)
Hannah Saiz (2017)
Michael Yeager (2019)
Greg York (2020)
Lucinda McRoberts, Ex-officio
Susan Woessner, Staff Liaison
Charge: To plan, implement and coordinate USA Swimming’s commitment to safeguard the physical, mental and emotional well-being of all of its members, with an emphasis on the welfare of its athlete members.
Membership: The Safe Sport Committee shall consist of twelve (12) members, as follows:
1. Two (2) athlete members selected by the Athletes Executive Committee, each of whom shall serve one year terms;
2. Two (2) coach members appointed by the President, each of whom shall serve staggered four (4) year terms ending in odd numbered years;
3. Two (2) subject-matter experts from organizations outside USA Swimming, appointed by the President, each of whom shall serve staggered four (4) year terms ending in even numbered years;
4. Four (4) at-large members appointed by the President, each of whom shall serve a four-year term, staggered so that one at-large member is appointed each year;
5. The Secretary and General Counsel, who shall serve as an ex-officio member, without vote; and
6. The Director of Safe Sport and Ethics for the USOC (as such title may be modified in the future), who shall serve as an ex-officio member, without vote.
Chairperson: The chair, who may be either an athlete or non-athlete member, shall be appointed by the President from the foregoing enumerated members and shall serve a one year term.
Staff Liaison: The Director of Safe Sport shall serve as the staff liaison to the Safe Sport Committee.
1. To create, execute and continually review USA Swimming’s member protection policies, guidelines, educational programs, reporting and adjudication procedures, and make recommendations to the USA Swimming Board of Directors for such changes to existing policies, guidelines, programs and procedures, as well as recommendations for new ones, as are appropriate;
2. To raise the awareness of member protection and the availability of member protection educational resources within the swimming community, including at the LSC and club levels;
3. To coordinate and ensure that the athlete and member protection education requirements for membership are properly developed, implemented and executed;
4. To interface with the USOC, other NGBs, other sport and non-sport related youth organizations and appropriate child protection groups regarding their member protection policies, guidelines, procedures and programs; and
5. To take such further actions as may be directed by the Board of Directors.
6. The Safe Sport Committee shall report to the President.