Below is a list of common equipment used by competitive swimmers. Not all equipment is required for every swimmer, and some clubs may even provide certain items for practice and meets. Your child’s coach will be able to tell you exactly what your swimmer needs.
MUST HAVES FOR THE NEW SWIMMER
- Goggles: Swimmers use goggles to protect their eyes from the chlorine as well as to gain a clear view of their surroundings in the pool. There are a variety of colors and styles depending on the preference of the swimmer. Goggles range from $6.50 – $29.99.
- Caps: Caps are designed to keep the hair out of swimmers’ faces and goggles straps into place. Caps range from $3.99 - $19.99.
- Women’s Practice Suit: Practice suits are used during workouts. They are created with a stronger material for durability. Some may create extra drag to make the workout more challenging. Women’s practice suits range from $33.00 - $76.00.
- Men’s Practice Suit: Practice suits are used during workouts. They are created with a stronger material for durability. Some may create extra drag to make the workout more challenging. Men’s practice suits range from $22.00 - $47.00.
Note: Clubs often arrange discounts with their local swimming apparel company. Please ask your coach regarding any team discount on equipment.
ITEMS YOU MAY NEED
- Mesh Bag: A mesh bag is used by swimmers to hold their training equipment. Mesh bags range from $6.00 - $18.00.
- Kickboard: A kickboard is a floating device used by swimmers during practice to enhance their kicking skills. Kickboards range from $6.95 - $24.99.
- Fins: Fins are a device that fit on a swimmers feet to increase kicking speed during practice. Fins range from $22.95 – $45.95.
- Paddles: Paddles are a plastic device placed on a swimmers hands during practice. The paddles are used to add resistance to the pulling phase of the stroke. There are a variety of paddles available, depending on the stroke you are swimming and the purpose of the pulling drill. Paddles range from $7.95 - $21.00.
- Pull Buoys: Pull-Buoys are a device used by swimmers during a practice to enhance body position during pull sets when the swimmers are not kicking. Pull buoys range from $6.95 – $11.99.
FOR ADVANCED SWIMMERS
- Women’s Competition Suit: Competition suits are used during meets. There are a number of brands and styles, depending on a swimmers preference. Women’s competition suits range from $84.00 – $450.00.
- Men’s Competition Suit: Competition suits are used during meets. There are a number of brands and styles, depending on a swimmers preference. Women’s competition suits range from $33.00 - $450.00.