Looking to get extra lanes in your pool? Think about this idea for either new pool design or existing pool gutter renovation …..
You can get extra lanes in your pool for less than $200 per lane. There are 3 basic lane widths that are very functional:
- 6’6” to 7” wide lanes for age group practices and general lap swimming
- 7’6” to 8’ wide lanes for senior level swimmers and regular swim competition
- 8’ to 9’ wide lanes for upper level competition
Extra lane line anchors can be added at each end of the pool providing the versatility to hang the lines from different sets of anchors and achieve a variety of lane widths.
Because of the torque the lane lines exert on the anchors, the anchors have to be welded to the metal gutter or actually poured in the concrete. Add this design feature to new pools and renovation projects so the pool has more practice lanes.
The lane line markings and targets on the bottom should always line up in the center of the width of lane you will use for competition. Because swimmers swim in circles in practice, it is really not a problem if the bottom markings are off center.
The typical 8 lane 25 yard pool that is 67’ wide can have the following: (inches are approximate)
- 8 x 8 foot lanes as the standard competition set up – this also allows for 18” between the outside lanes and side wall/gutter.
- 9 x 7’5” lanes for senior practices.
- 10 x 6’8” lanes for age group practices and lap swim.
The typical 8 lane 50 meter pool that is 75’ wide can have the following: (inches are approximate)
- Long course lanes – 8 x 9’ wide lanes as the competition set up – this allows for 18” between the outside lanes and side wall/gutter.
- Long course lanes – 9 x 7’5” wide lanes for senior practices
- Long course lanes – 10 x 6’3” wide lanes for age group practices and lap swim.
- Short course lanes – 20 x 8’ lanes for competition
- Short course lanes - 22 x 7’ lanes for senior practices.
- Short course lanes – 24 x 6’8” lanes for age group practices and lap swim.
More lanes mean more opportunities for team growth and income. Build versatility into your pool design.