Questions for Parents to Ask When Choosing a Club
In general, a parent should be looking for a competitive swimming program that will provide a motivating practice environment, focus on developing strong fundamentals, and embraces the long-term development of the child. Typically, good novice coaches teach, practice and promote all four strokes and preparation for a wide range of events.
Here is a list of basic questions that should help you find the right competitive swim team for your child:
1. Ask for references from the parents of other swim team members.
2. Visit the facility with your child and observe a swim practice.
3. What is the team’s mission statement and basic program philosophy regarding young swimmers?
4. How does the team place swimmers into the program?
5. What are the practice groups and practice times?
6. What practice group will my child participate in? How many swimmers in that group?
7. What are the attendance expectations? How many practices per week are recommended?
8. When does the swim season start and conclude?
9. Who will coach my child? What is their background and experience?
10. What training or certification do coaches receive?
11. Is it possible to participate in other youth activities during the swim year?
12. What is the cost? Registration fee? Monthly dues? Swim meet expenses?
13. Are there any other membership requirements? (i.e. fund raising)
14. What is expected of parents of new team members?
15. Will my child participate in swim meets? How often? Any travel necessary?
16. How do I register my child for the swim team?
17. What equipment is necessary? Where do I get the equipment?