New Insurance Provider Enhances Coverage to USA Swimming and its Clubs
USA Swimming is happy to share some exciting news regarding changes to its liability insurance coverage. These changes will provide up to more than 10 times the insurance coverage previously offered to clubs at no additional cost to USA Swimming or its member clubs.
Here is some background as to how these changes came about and how they impact USA Swimming clubs around the country.
For the past several years, USA Swimming has worked to improve its overall risk profile. This includes, but is not limited to, USA Swimming implementing its race start certification program and developing its comprehensive Safe Sport program. As insurance costs have risen in recent years, USA Swimming has found that it is imperative to find ways to not only keep its current insurance coverage but to find ways to improve it and provide better service to its member clubs.
USA Swimming hired a Risk Manager in 2013 to oversee this important area for its organization. Our Risk Manager, George Ward, worked to educate insurance providers about USA Swimming’s risk profile. In order to provide its member clubs with the best coverage possible, USA Swimming needed an insurance carrier that could provide the organization and its clubs with the coverage needed but also provide the enhanced coverage USA Swimming wanted to have moving forward.
USA Swimming will begin working with K&K Insurance in 2014. They are the industry leader and specialize in the sports and entertainment sectors. K&K is also the insurance provider for the United States Olympic Committee, many other National Governing Bodies (Hockey, Gymnastics, Diving, Basketball, Water Polo, Weightlifting), as well as other sports programs.
Below are some new specifics related to insurance coverage for our members clubs.
USA Swimming Clubs
The new program provides better coverage and is simple and straight forward. USA Swimming realizes that insurance can be a complicated issue so if there are any questions about our new insurance coverage, please direct them to George Ward, Director of Risk Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- USA Swimming’s club insurance is equal to or superior to other youth-serving organizations.
- USA Swimming club insurance will have no aggregate limit of liability, unlike many other organizations. There is a separate $1 million primary limits of liability for participant legal liability and public legal liability claims.
- USA Swimming club insurance has abuse/molestation coverage of $1 million per occurrence and a $5 million annual aggregate. Previous coverage had limits of $100,000 per occurrence and a $500,000 aggregate.
- All clubs have $1 million for property damage to premises rented to clubs and $5,000 medical payments coverage for injuries to members of the public.
- $4 million in excess liability coverage is now provided over the primary participant legal liability coverage and public legal liability.
- Coverage plan now provides Personal & Advertising Injury coverage which was not previously included.
- USA Swimming club insurance program and certificate insurance issuance is a benefit of membership fee and there is no additional cost.
- Abuse/molestation coverage will now be occurrence coverage vs. claims made (own vs. rent).
- Defense is outside the limits – unlimited coverage for defense costs.
- Added insurance coverage can help clubs get their teams into more locations/facilities and could reduce operational costs.