COACH CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT EXTENSIONS
With the continuation of many facilities being closed due to COVID-19, coaches may find it difficult to renew some certifications. USA Swimming's Risk Management Committee met, and the following steps are being taken to assist coaches whose Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expire between July 31, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
For agencies granting certification extensions, please submit the following to your LSC registrar:
- Any correspondence from the agency that provides specific information about the extension, including the new expiration date(s). Examples of correspondence include provisional/temporary certificates, email notifications from the agency, etc.
- A copy of your Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications showing an expiration date within the dates stated above.
For certifications from any agency which does not grant an extension:
- USA Swimming is granting an extension until March 31, 2021 for coaches whose Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expire between July 31, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Please note the following:
- For CPR/AED and In-Water Safety Training certifications which expire during the above stated timeframe, SWIMS and Deck Pass will be updated to reflect the new expiration date of March 31, 2021.
- Programming changes are necessary and will be done as soon as possible. In the meantime, coaches may receive reminders about expiring certifications until the current expiration dates are rolled forward to March 31, 2021.
- Any coaches who can renew the certifications listed above should send their updated certificates to their LSC registrar as usual.
- Those with expirations prior to the first extension of March 1, 2020 who have not completed a CPR course WILL NOT receive an extension and/or exemption as they should have completed a class prior to the virus.
It is important to note courses which can be completed online, such as membership requirements and other certifications, must be updated on or before its current expiration date. These courses include Athlete Protection Training, background checks, Coaches Advantage Training and online Safety Training for Swim Coaches.
Complete and mail a non-athlete membership application to the address print on the application form. Memberships are processed by each LSC (Local Swimming Committees). Annual fees vary by LSC. Application forms can be found on each LSC website.
Foundations of Coaching
First year coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 101 Level Course ($15). The course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete. Results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Prior to 2nd year of registration, coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 201 ($25). This course takes approximately 5 hours to complete and results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Rules & Regulations for Coaches (no fee). This course needs be taken only one time and prior to the second year of coaching. It takes about 1 hour to complete and will automatically be reported to the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Concussion Protocol Training
Coaches should take the concussion training to meet their state requirements. In a state where no such law exists, coaches can take the training through the Centers for Disease Control or the National Federation of State High School Associations. Certificates of completion must be sent to the LSC registrar for documentation.
Obtain USA Swimming-approved adult & prediatric CPR/AED certification. Certifiction must be kept current at all times.
Coaches who do not have access to an acceptable CPR/AED course or have taken a course that is not on this list can call their local American Red Cross chapter to challenge one of their Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED courses. The challenge involves passing the skills assessment with an ARC instructor without having to take the entire course. The ARC will charge a fee for each challenge. Call your local ARC chapter to set up a challenge.
Athlete Protection Training
Athlete Protection Training: All non-athlete members must complete the online Athlete Protection Training course annually. The core course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and is offered at no charge. The renewal course, offered in alternate years, is about 45 minutes long. When the course has been completed, the membership database is updated and the LSC is notified automatically.
New non-athlete members must register through their LSC first. New members cannot initiate this course until their membership application has been processed by their LSC. New members will receive an email as soon as their membership has been processed by the LSC.
USADA Coach's Advantage Tutorial
Current and previous members can access the course at any time. This course is offered at no charge. New members cannot begin the course until their membership applications have been processed by the LSCs. This course is renewed annually.
All coaches must complete the online USADA Coach’s Advantage Tutorial annually. The course takes approximately 20 minutes to complete and is offered at no charge. Results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.