COACH CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT EXTENSIONS
With the continuation of many facilities being closed due to COVID-19, coaches may find it difficult to renew some certifications. USA Swimming's Risk Management Committee met, and the following steps are being taken to assist coaches whose Lifeguard
Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expired March 31, 2021.
At this time, USA Swimming is further extending the exception through July 1, 2021. Although in-person training is limited, athlete safety is paramount and thus it is imperative for members to refresh their skills. As a result, this extension will
not be automatically applied.
This extended exception is premised on the following:
- The exception is available to current non-athlete members only and will not apply to new non-athlete members.
- The exception is available only to certifications that expired after March 1, 2020. Any certifications that expired prior to March 1, 2020, will not be granted this exception.
- If your certifying agency permits you to complete full certifications, you are strongly encouraged to do so.
For agencies granting certification extensions, please submit the following to your LSC registrar:
- The member must submit any correspondence from the certifying agency including specific information about the extension and new expiration dates (e.g., provisional/temporary certificates, email notifications, etc.) to the LSC registrar
- The LSC registrar will update the member’s SWIMS record after receiving the required documentation.
For certifications from any agency which does not grant an extension:
- In order to extend CPR/AED certifications, the non-athlete member must complete the online training portion of the certification course(s) and submit completion certifications to the LSC registrar. The LSC registrar will be responsible for updating
the member’s SWIMS record.
- In order to extend Safety Training for Swim Coaches, including lifeguard and in-water safety training certifications, the non-athlete member must complete the online training portion of the certification course(s) and submit completion certifications
to the LSC registrar. The LSC registrar will be responsible for updating the member’s SWIMS record.
It is important to note courses which can be completed online, such as membership requirements and other certifications, must be updated on or before its current expiration date. These courses include Athlete Protection Training, background checks, Coaches
Advantage Training and online Safety Training for Swim Coaches.
Complete and mail a non-athlete membership application to the address print on the application form. Memberships are processed by each LSC (Local Swimming Committees). Annual fees vary by LSC. Application forms can be found on each LSC website.
Foundations of Coaching
First year coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 101 Level Course ($15). The course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete. Results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Prior to 2nd year of registration, coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 201 ($25). This course takes approximately 5 hours to complete and results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Rules & Regulations for Coaches (no fee). This course needs be taken only one time and prior to the second year of coaching. It takes about 1 hour to complete and will automatically be reported to the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Concussion Protocol Training
Coaches should take the concussion training to meet their state requirements. In a state where no such law exists, coaches can take the training through the Centers for Disease Control or the National Federation of State High School Associations. Certificates of completion must be sent to the LSC registrar for documentation.
Obtain USA Swimming-approved adult & pediatric CPR/AED certification. Certification must be kept current at all times.
Coaches who do not have access to an acceptable CPR/AED course or have taken a course that is not on this list can call their local American Red Cross chapter to challenge one of their Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED courses. The challenge involves passing the skills assessment with an ARC instructor without having to take the entire course. The ARC will charge a fee for each challenge. Call your local ARC chapter to set up a challenge.
Athlete Protection Training
Athlete Protection Training: All non-athlete members must complete the online Athlete Protection Training course annually. The core course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and is offered at no charge. The renewal course, offered in alternate years, is about 45 minutes long. When the course has been completed, the membership database is updated and the LSC is notified automatically.
New non-athlete members must register through their LSC first. New members cannot initiate this course until their membership application has been processed by their LSC. New members will receive an email as soon as their membership has been processed by the LSC.
USADA Coach's Advantage Tutorial
Current and previous members can access the course at any time. This course is offered at no charge. New members cannot begin the course until their membership applications have been processed by the LSCs. This course is renewed annually.
All coaches must complete the online USADA Coach’s Advantage Tutorial annually. The course takes approximately 20 minutes to complete and is offered at no charge. Results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.