| Friday, February 3, 2017
The 2020 National Open Water Select Camp has been cancelled due to COVID-19. This camp will resume in 2021.
USA Swimming offers 24 of the country's best distance swimmers the opportunity for a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is an integral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water and then to the international scene.
The 2020 National Open Water Camp will be held August 27-30 in Denver, CO at Grant Ranch.
Due to the postponement of USA Swimming's National Open Water Championships, selection criteria is being re-evaluated and will be posted as soon as possible.
- Only Long Courses times are considered;
- Qualification timeframe (for pool selection): January 1, 2019 to April 26, 2020.
- Athletes must be currently registered with USA Swimming;
- Athletes must be US citizens & have not represented any other FINA Federation at international competition;
- Athletes who have previously attended a National Open Water Select Camp or National Team/National Junior Team Open Water Camp are not eligible for camp;
- Athletes who have represented USA Swimming internationally in an Open Water competition are not eligible for camp;
- An athlete who turns down the opportunity to attend camp would be eligible the following year if he/she still meets the criteria. An athlete who accepts the invitation and does not attend is not eligible the following year unless an alternate was able to attend in his/her place.
The camp will be held at Grant Ranch in Denver, CO.
The 2020 camp dates are August 27-30, 2020.
Athletes will learn strategies, OW technique, nutrition and recovery for open water, and much, much more from elite Open Water coaches.
USA Swimming will cover all costs related to camp for athletes including airfare/mileage, lodging, meals, race entry and other required camp costs.
Home coaches are invited to attend the camp with their athletes. USA Swimming will offer a $200 travel reimbursement to coaches who choose to attend and cover all lodging, meals and other required camp costs. Home coaches will follow the same track as the athlete and are there for an educational experience.
Staff:USA Swimming will select the staff for each camp. At least one male and one female assistant must be on the staff. In addition, one National Open Water Team athlete will attend the camp and at least one member of the USA Swimming National Headquarters staff will attend to assist with educational sessions. The staff will be announced when the team is set, however, appointment is contingent upon passing all required background & pre-employment screens.
The 2020 Camp will include open water lake sessions, educational sessions and varying open water races. Athletes and staff are required to stay the entire time and must stay onsite in the accommodations provided by the host. Tentative itinerary coming soon.
Statement of Inclusion:
The US Center for Safe Sport and USA Swimming prohibit discrimination against any member or participant on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender expression and gender identity is prohibited (304.3.3). In the event that a question should arise about whether an athlete’s request to participate in a manner consistent with his/her/their gender identity is bona fide, USA Swimming will refer to the Code of Conduct and follow its standard procedures of enforcement.
For more information please email Morgan Weinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.