| Thursday, February 9, 2017
The Facilities Development Department aims to assist member clubs and affiliated organizations. This includes developing and planning new aquatic facilities as well as renovating and upgrading existing facilities. We also assist in developing and designing complimentary aquatic programs. USA Swimming has taken a pro-active approach to develop the necessary “in-house” resources to facilitate aquatic development. We reach out to interested parties and combine services and resources to support community aquatics for generations. Our goal is to provide our members and the general public with access to safe, pleasant and functional aquatic environments. We believe that USA Swimming has the resources and experience to help you serve your clientele.
General Service Overview – USA Swimming will:
- Foster the development of new facilities
- Promote and facilitate greater access to existing facilities
- Develop and promote program methodologies for maximum utilization of pool facilities
- Expand aquatic industry resources, relationships and affinity partnerships
- Position USA Swimming at the forefront of research and development of facility design, operations, products, construction and related services for the aquatic industry
Facility Renovation & Upgrading and Facility Operation & Management
For facilities with an existing pool of any size or type, we offer planning assistance regarding repair, equipment upgrading, remodeling, additions, operations, environmental safety and functionality. Our planning in conjunction with our professional providers can include the water tank itself as well as the surrounding area, including the filter system, ultra-violet and air handling, and circulation system. Despite published information to the contrary, facilities can be improved and/or expanded without millions of dollars in investments! Additionally, programs can be added and developed to support and enhance existing aquatic offerings and income potential. Ultra Violet pool water treatment, main drain entrapment issues, ADA access and compliance are three of the more common challenges we help facilities with.
Facility Design and BuildingWe all want safe, modern, functional and sustainable facilities. Many of the dreams and plans to create such pools are scrapped because of cost/design limitations or asking the wrong questions to the wrong firms. This is where the Facilities Development Department of USA Swimming can assist. Many of our services are at no cost to member clubs or organizations affiliated with a member club. Through our Regional Build a Pool conferences and workshops USA Swimming’s services can assist with:
- Pre-Planning Services
- Planning Services
- Development Services
- Assistance with the selection of design team and documentation
- Owners' Representation and Technical Assistance
(and programming workshops)
These conferences have set the industry standard for delivering new information on pool building, renovation, and programming for financial sustainability. These are 2 day regional conferences that are generally held in six different sites around the country. A brief overview:Planning & Building the Facility for Total Aquatic Programming:
- Plan - phasing - patience
- Facility design should be program driven
- The aquatic facility is the focal point of planned programming
- Detailed examples
- New designs and ideas
For more information & registration for the Build a Pool Conferences click here.
A large part of what we offer includes guidelines, suggestions, and methodologies for development of aquatic programs. Examples include:
- Learn-to-swim for children and adults
- Programs for special needs populations
- Aquatic physical therapy (rehab)
- Aquatic exercise and water walking
- Community programs
- Lap swimming - swim for health
- Pre-competitive swimming and bridge programs
- Competitive swimming
USA Swimming can assist with aquatic programming regarding what programs are offered, marketed and delivered.
- Total Aquatic Programming
- Window of Exercise
- 4 Pillars of Aquatic Programming
Upper level programming can always have a value added benefit for the community and a positive impact on any budget. We can help with program pricing compared to national norms and proven ways to save on operational expenses.