By USA Swimming | Thursday, August 3, 2017
Last week was one for the ages for Team USA at the 2017 FINA World Championships. Relive a record-setting eight days with some news and notes from Budapest.
- Team USA won a record 38 medals in the pool at the 2017 FINA World Championships in Budapest. The previous high was 36 medals for the United States at the 2007 and 1978 FINA World Championships.
- U.S. open water swimmers added three medals for a total of 41 swimming medals at the 2017 FINA World Championships.
- American athletes posted six world-record swims and 19 American-record swims in Budapest. Check out the full list here.
- Team USA won gold in seven of the eight relays contested in Budapest.
- Silver medalist in the men’s 100m freestyle.
- Added three relay medals and now has 13 career FINA World Championships medals to rank third all-time among American men behind only Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte.
- Won gold medals in five relays at the 2017 FINA World Championships.
- She is one of only eight American women with five or more career world championships gold medals.
- Won seven gold medals to join Michael Phelps as the only swimmers to win seven titles at a single FINA World Championships. Phelps did so in 2007.
- Won individual gold in the 50m free, 100m free and 100m fly to become the first American male since Ryan Lochte in 2011 to claim at least three individual titles at the same world championships.
- Became the first swimmer in history to win three world titles in a single day on July 29 with wins in the 50m free, 100m fly and mixed 400m free relay.
- Set American records in the 50m free, 100m free and 100m fly.
- Swam a team-high 16 races in Budapest, covering 1,300 meters.
- Won silver in the men’s 100m back, bronze in the men’s 50m back and a pair of relay medals.
- Now owns 11 career FINA World Championships medals to tie for fifth all-time among American men.
- Swept the men’s individual medley events in Budapest to become the first since Ryan Lochte in 2011 to win both races.
- Eclipsed Michael Phelps’ meet record in the 400m IM with a time of 4:05.90.
- Won gold in the 50m and 100m breaststroke and set world records in both events.
- She added gold in the 400m medley relay and 400m mixed medley relay four a total of four gold medals won in Budapest.
- Won six medals – five gold – in Budapest and claimed her third straight world titles in the 400m, 800m and 1500m freestyle. She added gold in the 400m and 800m free relays, as well as a second straight medal (silver) in the 200m free.
- Ranks as the only American to win four individual medals and did so for a second straight world championships.
- Now has a women’s record 14 career gold medals in FINA World Championships action. This total includes 10 individual world titles – more than any other woman.
- Has won six straight 800m free titles at major international events since 2012 – two Olympic Games, three FINA World Championships and one Pan Pacific Championships.
- Swam a team-high 6,300 meters in Budapest over 11 races.
- Won gold in the 100m free and bronze in the 50m free with American records in both races.
- Also earned four relay gold medals to finish the meet with six medals, including five gold. Her seven career FINA World Championships medals are tied for ninth among American women. She is one of only eight U.S. women with five career gold medals.
- Won gold in the open water 5K and silver in the 5K team relay to become the first American open water swimmer with four medals in FINA World Championships action.
No Results Found
This is used as a workaround to display Twitter feeds properly. Please do not modify or remove - Michael C