By USA Swimming | Monday, March 18, 2019
USA Swimming today announced the names of the 48 up-and-coming athletes selected for the 13th Annual National Diversity Select Camp. The camp will be held May 2-5 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.
The full list of camp participants is now available. Thirty-six different clubs from 21 states will be represented and alumni of the program include Olympic gold medalist Simone Manuel.
The purpose of the camp is to instill a vision of success and inspire athletes from ethnically under-represented populations to become leaders in the sport of swimming. Some of USA Swimming’s most diverse talent are brought to the camp for an extended weekend of pool training, leadership development, team-building activities and learning. Athletes’ personal coaches are encouraged to attend the camp as well.
The goal of USA Swimming’s National Diversity Select Camp is to:
- Empower athletes from ethnically under-represented populations
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming
- Achieve performance excellence at every level of the sport
- Expound the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming
- Assist in recruiting more swimmers and coaches from diverse ethnicities to the sport of swimming
- Be positive leaders and role models that others from multicultural backgrounds can emulate
The camp hosts swimmers between the ages 14 and 16 and selection is based on times swum at USA Swimming sanctioned events. Each athlete selected for the camp will be provided complimentary room and board at the Olympic Training Center, ground transportation and full airfare to Colorado Springs.
The full staff list for the camp is now published. For more information on National Diversity Select Camp please visit usaswimming.org
No Results Found
This is used as a workaround to display Twitter feeds properly. Please do not modify or remove - Michael C