| Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Changing Competition Category
The following provides information on the process that USA Swimming members must go through in order to request a competition category change.
STEP 1: Contact USA Swimming with request at:
- Phone: 719-866-4578 or;
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 2: USA Swimming intake process interview. This interview must be done over the phone, not over email exchange.
STEP 3: Required documentation provided to USA Swimming which includes the following:
- Request in writing. Details of this can be found in the Request to Change Competition Category document.
- Letter of support from a health-care professional who has treated or is treating the applicant (e.g. physician, pediatrician, psychiatrist, school counselor, psychologist)
- Receipt of acknowledge of the Athlete Support Plan
STEP 4: Eligibility Review Panel reviews request with established criteria
STEP 5: Panel decision will be communicated in writing, and in person when possible, to athlete/parent/coach.
STEP 6: Administrative change initiated in SWIMS
STEP 7: Compete in new category with the following guidelines:
- Limit: 2 changes per year
- All eligibility rules apply for meets selection, NAG, etc.
- Elite athletes who may qualify for high-level or international meets must also refer to the guidelines provided by USADA, WADA, FINA, and IOC, regarding drug testing, qualifications, and other rules.