By Chase McFadden//Contributor | Thursday, January 2, 2020
Well hello, 2020! Seems like the right time to set some goals… within reason. Resolving to crush every practice, win every race, watch every Cody Miller vlog – admirable aspirations.
Realistic? Not even a little bit.
Here are seven healthy resolutions for the new year that you can absolutely keep.
- Cheer your face off for teammates. (Careful, however, not to drop it in the water, because a face floating in the pool is kinda unsettling).
- Towel off with gratitude daily. Tell your coaches thank you, and ditto for your family.
- Watch at least every other Cody Miller vlog. They’re great.
- Vow not to complain about the even-penguins-would-be-shivering frigidity of the pool more than four times per morning practice.
- Do a near-perfect job of embracing the fact that you’re not perfect, never have been perfect and never will be perfect. You’re human, just like everyone else. (Unless you’re a chlorine-powered cyborg, which is pretty awesome).
- Power your phone off once a day for 20 minutes and put it in a drawer in another room. Then sprawl out on the floor with the latest edition of Splash magazine, or a book, or a sudoku puzzle, or nothing at all.
- Smile frequently. Swimming is fun.