J. Wade Atkins, Chair - MD (2022 – 1st)
Mike Switalski - NI (2023 – 2nd)
Kent Yoshiwara – PC (2022 – 2nd)
Jenni Shamburger – GU (2022 – 2nd)
Saya Ryan, Athlete – PC (2021)
Hannah Kukurugya Wilson, Athlete - PC (2021)
Mariejo Truex, USA Swimming Staff Lead
Ashanée Player, USA Swimming Staff
For the Diversity Program Page and committee meeting minutes, click here.
USA Swimming is committed to increasing multicultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity at all levels of the sport to achieve and foster an inclusive swimming environment.
Vision Statement: Educate. Initiate. Celebrate.
Mission Statement: To create sustain and enhance opportunities for diversity, equity and inclusion in the USA Swimming community.
Membership: The President appoints the members to four-year terms, staggered so that
25% are named annually.
1. Enact creative strategies to achieve our mission through education and awareness
2. Support USA Swimming by implementing initiatives and programs that will increase participation among underrepresented populations
3. Assist USA Swimming in creating an atmosphere of inclusion for all families, athletes, volunteers, and coaches
4. Identify opportunities that will reduce gender disparity among the coaching and leadership ranks
5. Advocate for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion for USA Swimming
6. The committee will work closely with the USA Swimming Staff Liaison as assigned.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award
Established in 2006 the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award is presented to a person, group or an organization that has positively heightened the awareness of inclusion efforts through various modes and media resulting in the increase and successful participation of currently underrepresented groups in the sport of swimming. This award is given out each year by the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee.
For more information about the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award click here.
In an effort to more effectively tell the stories of our entire membership, we have created this news tip form.
When you hear of a story that is unique and interesting to you, it's probably interesting to someone else too. You're the ear to the ground of this organization - We heard you loud and clear and we need your help. Please fill in each of the fields in this form as completely as possible with the pertinent information so a writer could potentially follow up for a story. The more information you can provide, the better. Thank you for all you do for the swimming community.