J. Wade Atkins, Chair - MD (2022 – 1st)
Mike Switalski - NI (2023 – 2nd)
Dana Holder - AM (2023 – 1st)
Kent Yoshiwara – PC (2020 – 1st)
Sarah Dawson - CA (2020 – 2nd)
Chris Sheppard – NE (2021 – 2nd)
Emily Melina - OR (2021 – 1st)
Jenni Shamburger – GU (2022 – 2nd)
Anisa Nelson, Athlete - GU (2020)
Noah Wilson, Athlete - MD (2020)
Candice Howard, DEI Outside Consultant
Ashanée Player, USA Swimming Staff
Mariejo Truex, USA Swimming Staff Liaison
For the Diversity Program Page and committee meeting minutes, click here.
USA Swimming is committed to increasing multicultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity at all levels of the sport to achieve and foster an inclusive swimming environment.
Vision Statement: Educate. Initiate. Celebrate.
Mission Statement: To create a culture of inclusion and opportunity for all.
Membership: The President appoints the members to four-year terms, staggered so that
25% are named annually.
1. Enact creative strategies to achieve our mission through education and awareness
2. Support USA Swimming by implementing initiatives and programs that will increase participation among underrepresented populations
3. Assist USA Swimming in creating an atmosphere of inclusion for all families, athletes, volunteers, and coaches
4. Identify opportunities that will reduce gender disparity among the coaching and leadership ranks
5. Advocate for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion for USA Swimming
6. The committee will work closely with the USA Swimming Staff Liaison as assigned.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award
Established in 2006 the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award is presented to a person, group or an organization that has positively heightened the awareness of inclusion efforts through various modes and media resulting in the increase and successful participation of currently underrepresented groups in the sport of swimming. This award is given out each year by the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee.
For more information about the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award click here.