COACH EDUCATION REQUIREMENTs and Foundations of coaching
New coaches are required to complete the two-part Foundations of Coaching (FoC) courses and tests as well as a Rules and Regulations online test. Foundations of Coaching is delivered in an online format that will ensure that participants review the educational content prior to taking the tests.
- USA Swimming recommends that a new coach register as a “coach member” prior to taking Foundations 101. Contact your LSC Registration Chair for more information.
- Foundations 101 is required of all new coach members. The course and test takes approximately 90 minutes. The test at the conclusion of the course is comprised of 25 questions. There are ungraded review quizzes at the conclusion of each section. You must complete the course before you can access the Course Test at the conclusion of the course. Cost for the course is $15.
- Foundations 201 is a more comprehensive course of approximately 5 hours and must be successfully completed prior to registration for the 2nd year of coach membership. The test at the conclusion of the course is comprised of 40 questions. There are ungraded review quizzes at the conclusion of each section. You must complete the course before you can access the Course Test at the conclusion of the course.Cost for the course is $25.
- Rules and Regulations is a separate 30 question test completed on the USA Swimming website. Completing this test is the 2nd required component to fulfill the Foundations 201 requirement. The current rulebook is the required resource. There is no cost to take this test. You can take the test any time prior to the 2nd year of registration. Use either a current hard copy rulebook or the online version.
You must have an account on the USA Swimming website and be logged in to access the test.
To access Rules & Regulations click the link farther down this page.
If you have any questions please contact the Club Development Division or call USA Swimming at 719.866.4578.
Note that the test is unavailable April 15-May 1 of each year for updating to the current rulebook. Tests started after May 1 of each year will expire on April 15 of the following year. You must complete the test prior to 11:00pm on April 15 or the test will be automatically deleted and inaccessible for completion.
- Foundations of Coaching 101 and 201 are online courses that include all of the necessary resources and documents. The required tests are accessible at the end of each course.
- Rules and Regulations: New rules go into effect on May 1 of each year so the new rulebook becomes the resource. For example, on May 1, 2017, the 2017 USA Swimming Rulebook is required for the test. Tests started after May 1 of each year will expire on April 15 of the following year. You must complete the test prior to April 15 or the test will be automatically deleted and inaccessible for completion.
All tests require a score of 80% or higher to pass. Upon passing the each test, your LSC Registration Chair will automatically be notified so that your registration status can be updated to "Coach Member."
IMPORTANT: Before beginning FoC 101 or FoC 201, you should clear your cookies in your web browser. To do this go to your web browser Options- Privacy- Clear Cookies (Note: Each browser is different and may require you to look up how to clear your cookies).
If you are having issues with your web browser (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.) please exit the course & log back in using a different browser.
Additional questions on the Foundation's Courses
- You will have access to the resources and videos used in the courses after you complete the course.
- If you believe that you were a prior coach member in USA Swimming and do not need to take the Foundations of Coaching courses you need to contact USA Swimming and explain why you believe you should be "grandfathered".
- You must successfully complete and pass the Foundations 101 course before you are able to access the 201 course.
If you are a USA Swimming Member, Complete the information below to start a Foundations of Coaching course or Take the Rules & Regulations test
If you are not a USA Swimming Member, and would like to take the Foundations of Coaching Test, click here
If you need to re-access your already purchased course from epath:
Reference the first email you received when you registered for the course the first time. If you cannot find this email, follow these steps:
- Go to http://www.epathcampus.com
- Click Login
- Enter Org Code: USA34942
- Enter email address
- Enter password