Coach Membership Requirements Checklist
FOUNDATIONS OF COACHING
- First year coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 101 Level Course ($15). The course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete. Results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
- Prior to 2nd year of registration, coaches must complete Foundations of Coaching 201 ($25). This course takes approximately 5 hours to complete and results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
- Rules & Regulations for Coaches (no fee). This course needs be taken only one time and prior to the second year of coaching. It takes about 1 hour to complete and will automatically be reported to the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
Visit www.usaswimming.org/FOC to access these courses.
CONCUSSION PROTOCOL TRAINING
SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES
The STSC requirement consists of two components: (A) an online course and test, and (B) an in-water skills
session. The online component must be passed before taking the in-water skills component. Go directly to
http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class and complete the instructions on ARC web page.
B: There are three options for completing the in-water skills session. Find the option that works best for you and then click on the button for additional information about that option:
- STSC Option 1: COACHES WHO USE THE GENERIC IN-WATER SKILLS CHECKLIST
Print the generic STSC In-Water Skills Checklist (available on your LSC website) and review the skills with an instructor certified by one of the organizations on the checklist;1. Contact a lifeguard instructor certified by any of the organizations on the in-water skills checklist (sample checklist is below; a copy should also be posted on your LSC website). Set a time to review the skills in a pool with the instructor.
2. Take a copy of the Online Content Only certificate and the in-water skills checklist to the pool for the skills review with the lifeguard instructor. Review the skills with the instructor, sign the checklist, have the instructor sign it, and then send both the checklist and online certificate to your LSC registrar. The earlier of the two expiration dates will determine the STSC credential expiration date.
3. Repeat this procedure every two years.
- STSC Option 2: COACHES WHO HAVE AN ACCEPTABLE LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION
Maintain a valid lifeguard certification from an approved agency;1. Obtain or renew an acceptable lifeguarding certificate (see the list below for acceptable certifications).
2. Send an acceptable lifeguarding certificate and the STSC Online Content Only certificate to the LSC registrar. The earlier of the two expiration dates will determine the STSC credential expiration date.
3. Repeat this procedure every two years.
- STSC Option 3: COACHES WHO HAVE ACCESS TO AN AMERICAN RED CROSS INSTRUCTOR
Take the full in-water skills session from an American Red Cross instructor.1. Contact an ARC water safety, STSC or lifeguard instructor to schedule the ARC STSC in-water skills session in a pool with the instructor. (This session will be an abbreviated review session for those with a current STSC certification or a full session for those without a current STSC certification.) Coaches can also request a ‘blended learning’ course to include Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED, thus fulfilling another USA Swimming requirement at the same time.
2. Take a copy of the Online Content Only certificate to the pool to prove you have passed the online course. Complete the in-water skills session with the ARC instructor, who will issue a STSC In-Water Skills Session certificate. Send both certificates to your LSC registrar. The earlier of the two expiration dates will determine the STSC credential expiration date.
3. Repeat this procedure every two years.
Obtain USA Swimming-approved adult & prediatric CPR/AED certification. Certifiction must be kept current at all times.
Coaches who do not have access to an acceptable CPR/AED course or have taken a course that is not on this list can call their local American Red Cross chapter to challenge one of their Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED courses. The challenge involves passing the skills assessment with an ARC instructor without having to take the entire course. The ARC will charge a fee for each challenge. Call your local ARC chapter to set up a challenge.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK
All non-athlete members must pass a criminal background check every 24 months. Please visit www.usaswimming.org/backgroundcheck for additional information and to initiate the background check.
USA Swimming requires that individuals serving in the following roles become non‐athlete members of USA Swimming:
- Meet Directors
- Team Chaperones
- USA Swimming Board of Directors and National Committee Members
- Individuals with any ownership interest in a member club
- Individuals with password access to the USA Swimming SWIMS member database
- Members of the USA Swimming House of Delegates
- HQ Staff
- “Employees and volunteers of USA Swimming, Zones, LSCs and member clubs who interact directly and frequently with athletes as a regular part of their duties” (Article 305.4)
This provision does not apply to volunteers such as timers, marshal
The new member background check costs $38. The fee for all existing members the first time they complete a check with IntellicorpRecords is $38. The fee to renew the background check (every other year) is $18.
New York County Record Search Fees
Due to the unusually high access fees in certain counties of New York State, some members may be subject to an additional fee for county criminal record searches conducted in these counties. These counties are: Allegheny, Bronx, Cayuga, Cortland, Erie, Fulton, Hamilton, Kings (Brooklyn), Montgomery, Nassau, New York (Manhattan), Orleans, Queens, Richmond (Staten Island).
IntelliCorp Records will conduct county searches in these counties for the name provided and one former last name. A search for an address in one of these counties is subject to an additional $65 fee per name for county criminal record searches. This is the actual fee charged for the search by New York. However, as a benefit to members, USA Swimming will subsidize this fee such that USA Swimming will pay $40 and members who are charged the additional fee(s) will pay only $25 per name that must be searched. This fee will be applied at the time the background check is ordered.
USA Swimming was among the first National Governing Bodies to require criminal background checks for coaches when the program was implemented in 2006. Since this program was initiated, criminal background checks have become a standard practice in the youth sports industry requiring not only coaches, but officials and others who have frequent and direct interaction with young people to complete background checks.
USA Swimming’s background check requirement is designed to deter individuals who should not be working with athletes from ever applying for membership. Additionally, it serves to identify any unsuitable criminal history of those individuals who do apply for membership. Like previously mandated USA Swimming safety and education requirements, the background check program is another layer of protection for athletes in our sport.
It is important to emphasize that the purpose of this background check is to determine an individual’s eligibility for membership in USA Swimming based on the criteria stated in the program overview found at www.usaswimming.org/backgroundcheck. This check is not intended to serve as a pre‐employment background screening program. The background check process is a criminal record search and is not a substitute for a club conducting appropriate pre‐employment screening of applicants. It is a club’s responsibility to screen potential employees. Clubs should carefully check references and prior employers, and consider requiring additional information such as driving records, before making a hiring decision.
We have selected IntelliCorp Records, an independent Consumer Reporting Agency, to perform the USA Swimming Background Check program. Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, IntelliCorp Records is a worldwide organization and a pioneer in the background screening industry. IntelliCorp is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), and provides background screening products and services to help mitigate risk.
All information received shall be kept private and protected according to federal regulations. Individuals who login to perform their background check will be advised in writing prior to the background check and be required to authorize such background check. In addition, they will be provided an opportunity to review the results of any background check performed.
Unfortunately, USA Swimming cannot accept your background check for another organization. Currently, there is significant duplication of efforts with regard to background checks required by schools, churches, youth sports and employers in part because organizations are not permitted to share applicant’s background check reports with each other. In addition, different entities use different criteria to judge someone’s suitability for employment, membership or service. There are no standard criteria by which search reports are evaluated.
- a search of national criminal and sex offender databases on the name provided and up to four former last names found within the seven year address history;
- a search of other watch lists from various national and international databases on the name provided and up to four former last names found within the 7 year address history;
- a county criminal search in county of current residence on the name provided and one former last name;
- a county criminal search in all counties of residence within the 7 year address history on the name provided and one former last name;
- a federal court search on the name provided and one former last name;
- and a once per month update of the national criminal database for a period of 23 months.
Completing a USA Swimming background check is an online process that starts at this link: www.usaswimming.org/backgroundcheck .
You will be directed from the USA Swimming website to the IntelliCorp Records website. Once on the IntelliCorp Records website, provide the information requested and pay with a credit card. You will receive an email confirmation once the background check has been submitted. Save this email as confirmation that you initiated a check.
If you encounter any problem with completing the check while online, please contact our dedicated account manager at Intellicorp Records available at 866‐637‐0010.
You will be asked to provide the following information to IntelliCorp Records:
- First and Last Name
- Home Address, City, State, Zip Code
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- Email Address
- Middle Name
- Maiden Name
- Phone Number
Neither USA Swimming nor IntelliCorp Records is permitted to share any of the above information with any entity other than the subject of the report or as required by law.
ATHLETE PROTECTION TRAINING
Athlete Protection Training: All non-athlete members must complete the online Athlete Protection Training
course annually. The core course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and is offered at no charge. The
renewal course, offered in alternate years, is about 45 minutes long. Go to www.usaswimming.org/apt for
additional information and to access the course. When the course has been completed, the membership
database is updated and the LSC is notified automatically.
New non-athlete members must register through their LSC first. New members cannot initiate this course until their membership application has been processed by their LSC. New members will receive an email as soon as their membership has been processed by the LSC. (An error message will appear during the log-in if the new member’s application hasn’t been processed yet.)
USADA COACH'S ADVANTAGE TUTORIAL
Current and previous members can access the course at any time. This course is offered at no charge. New members cannot begin the course until their membership applications have been processed by the LSCs. This course is renewed annually.
All coaches must complete the online USADA Coach’s Advantage Tutorial annually. The course takes approximately 20 minutes to complete and is offered at no charge.
Go to www.usaswimming.org/learn to access the course. Results are automatically reported into the USA Swimming database upon successful completion.
DECK PASS SIGN-UP
- Verify membership status
- Once all requirements have been met, an e-card will be made available.
- Check expiration dates of all requirements
- Present your e-card at meets.