Officials Online TEsting
The USA Swimming National Officials Committee has developed a testing and certification program to ensure the consistency of top-level officiating at meets nationwide. For information on National Certification, please visit the National Certification page.
You can take an online officials test (certification and re-certification) for any of the following:
- Administrative Referee
- Administrative Official
- Stroke and Turn/Timer
- Timing Judge
- Open Water Judge
- Open Water Referee
If you have questions about which test you should take or if your certification has expired, contact your LSC Officials Chair.
ONline TESTing instructions
In order to use this test site, you need to have a USA Swimming website user account. If you already have a website account on www.usaswimming.org, you will need to log in to that account to take your test(s). Use the sign in link in the upper right corner to log in.
NOTE: Please make sure the account you are using is not linked to your child's USA Swimming member record. If you had set up a Deck Pass account to access a child's information, you will need to create a new separate account for yourself that is linked to your own USA Swimming member record.
If you don't already have a USA Swimming website account, create an account first ("sign in" upper right corner and follow steps to create an account) and then navigate back to this page to take your test(s).
Note that any test you start and do not complete by 4/14/2018 will be automatically deleted on 4/15/2018 in order to make updates to the tests to coincide with the 2018 Rulebook. COMPLETED tests (from any year) will not be deleted, just incomplete ones.
PLEASE USE the 2017 RULEBOOK for ALL ONLINE TESTS.
You may wish to duplicate this tab in your browser or print these instructions so you can refer to them while taking the test.
- Once you are logged in to your USA Swimming website account, click on "Start an Online Test-Click Here" at the bottom of this page.
- Choose the appropriate test from the "Start Test" dropdown menu that appears. Taking the Timing Judge or Administrative Official test? You MUST DOWNLOAD and PRINT this WORKSHEET to use with the Timing Judge and the Administrative Official Test.
- Confirm your understanding of the test expiration date by checking "I agree". Click "Next".
- Verify your personal contact information (enter all information requested so that we may contact you if needed) and click on "Save Information and Proceed to Test". Your LSC Officials Chair will receive email notification that you have passed the test, so please enter your LSC correctly.
- You can enter the clinic instructor info if you wish. It is not required.
- Click on "Start Test" (Ignore the "Print Blank Version of Test" button. You will have this option later).
- First test question appears. You can proceed to answer the questions at this point. Answer the question and then click "Next". Proceed to answer all the questions and then "End Test/Submit for Grading".
If you'd like to PRINT OUT your test to COMPLETE OFFLINE and then enter your answers later, follow these steps after the first test question appears.
- First test question appears. Click on "Save and Restart Later".
- "Prior Tests" box appears. Select "Print Blank Test" next to the test you are working on.
- After printing your test out, and completing it offline, navigate back to the online testing module. Click on "Start an Online Test".
- "Prior Tests" box appears. Click on "Resume" next to the test you completed offline.
- Verify your personal information again if asked. Then click "Resume Test".
- Proceed to enter your test answers, clicking "Next" after each question.
- Click on "End Test/Submit for Grading" once you have entered all your answers.