Athlete Protection Training
MANDATORY TRAINING FOR adult MEMBERS
The Athlete Protection Training is provided through the U.S. Center for SafeSport. The required course is found on the USA Swimming LEARN site and will be renewed annually.
All new and existing adult members of USA Swimming, including adult athletes, and junior coach members must have satisfactorily completed athlete protection education as required by the U.S. Center for SafeSport.
New members will be required to have their application form and payment processed by their LSC registrar before they can sign in to complete the course.
This certification is required for all new and existing members including coaches, officials, chaperones, meet directors, and adult athletes. If you have registered with USA Swimming for the first time, this is the course you need to take.
The course is free of charge and, upon completion, should update in your membership record within 24 hours. Initiate the course by entering your information in the boxes below.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION
To complete the Athlete Protection Training Certification, please follow the directions below:
- Enter your first name, last name, and birthday. Make sure to use your legal name. Click the Search button.
- When the system finds you, click on "CONTINUE" to access the LEARN site.
- You must take the course(s) within the "Athlete Protection Training" Certification to complete the requirement.
- Once you have completed your courses, your membership record will update within 24 hours with a new APT expiration date.
- Your APT will expire 12 months after you complete the certificate.
If you get a "No Results Found" message, one of three things has happened:
- You may have made a typo on your name and birthday. Double check and resubmit.
- If everything is correct and you are or have ever been a member of USA Swimming, it is possible that there is a typo in your membership information in the USA Swimming database. Contact your LSC registrar.
- You have never been registered with USA Swimming. You must join through your LSC. New members will be required to have your application form and payment processed by your LSC registrar before you can sign in to complete the course.
Once you have located your personal information above, you will be taken from the USA Swimming website to LEARN to complete the course. If you experience any difficulty on the LEARN, please contact email@example.com.
Questions about the new APT requirement? U.S. Center for SafeSport Education FAQs.
How do I come back to LEARN if I logout?
As a member, you MUST ALWAYS enter LEARN by entering your name and DOB at www.usaswimming.org/apt or www.usaswimming.org/learn. If you make a non-member account on LEARN, you will not receive credit for the courses you take.
Do I take the same course every year?
No, you will take "Athlete Protection Training: Core Course" one year and "Refresher" the next.
How long is the APT?
"Athlete Protection Training: Core Course" will take you about 90 minutes. "Refresher" will take about 35 minutes. You may stop the course at any time and pick up where you left off the next time you log in.