SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES
A coach is now able to take the Safety Training for Swim Coaches written test online and then proceed to a Red Cross instructor to demonstrate the required water skills. There are two options to this procedure: the Fast Track Option and the Written Test Only Option.
INSTRUCTIONS TO START THE STSC TEST
In order to take the STSC online written test, you must create an account on the USA Swimming website and login. If you are not logged in, you cannot access the test.
- Fill in all of the required personal information before beginning. Make sure to include both your FIRST and LAST names.
- Make sure you enter the proper Local Swim Committee or LSC. If you are unsure, please click on the LSC Map.
- Select Safety Training for Swim Coaches from the drop down box.
- Click "Start Test." You now have two options:
- Take the test directly online
- Print a paper copy of the test to work on offline. Note: If you chose to print a paper copy you must go back and enter your answers online. There is NO mail in option
You can start and stop as many times as you wish before submitting your completed test. Click "Save and Restart Later" after any question to exit, then simply click "Resume" in the "Options" box on the opening page to continue working. You can start where you left off by entering the question number in the "Go" box.
A score of 20 out of 25 is a passing grade. If you do not score 20, you must retake the test. You may take it as many times as you want to in order to pass. Note that each time you take it you will get a slightly different version of the test.
You may want to print a copy of these instructions to have as a reference.
If you have any questions please contact the Club Development Division or call USA Swimming at 719.866.4578.
HOW TO COMPLETE SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES
Fast Track Option
Participants who wish to complete a Safety Training for Swim Coaches course using the Fast Track option should complete the following steps:
- Locate and register for an upcoming pool skills session for the Fast Track option. If there are no courses scheduled, it may be easier to work in conjunction with other coaches to create enough demand to justify holding a course.
- Successfully complete the online written exam. Both the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety Manual and the Safety Training for Swim Coaches Supplement are required as references in order to complete the course. After successfully completing the online written exam, the participant will receive an email (to the email address that is listed in the registration profile) for verification purposes. Keep this email for your records. It will be required at the start of the pool skills session. The written exam must be completed no more than 30 days prior to attending the pool skills session.
- Attend and successfully complete the pool skills session. The American Red Cross instructor will verify successful completion of the online written course by reviewing the email verification.
- The pool skills session requires successful demonstration of the following skills:
- Reaching Assist With Equipment
- Reaching Assist Without Equipment from the Deck
- Reaching Assist Without Equipment from a Position in the Water
- Throwing Assist
- Wading Assist With Equipment
- Hip and Shoulder Support
- Head Splint Technique
- Head and Chin Support—Face-Up
- Head and Chin Support—Face-Down
- The instructor will submit a course record to the local Red Cross chapter indicating completion of the Safety Training for Swim Coaches course (Fast Track option).
- Participants who successfully complete the course requirements will receive an American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating “Safety Training for Swim Coaches”. The card will have a completion date the same as the date of the pool skills session and will be valid for 3 years from that date.
Written Exam Only Option
The “Written Exam Only” option is designed for participants who completed one of the lifeguarding courses accepted by USA Swimming. Because these participants have already demonstrated water rescue skills, they have the option to complete the “written exam only” portion of the course. This, combined with their current lifeguarding cards, qualifies them to complete the Safety Training for Swim Coaches requirement. Follow these steps:
- Determine that the coach has a current card in one of the accepted courses.
- Successfully complete the online written exam. After successfully completing the exam, the coach will receive an email (to the email address that is listed in the registration profile) for verification purposes which should be printed out. It will be required when requesting credit for completing Safety Training for Swim Coaches.
- Submit a copy of the email confirming successful completion of the written Safety Training for Swim Coaches test along with a copy of a current approved lifeguarding card to the LSC registration person. Safety Training for Swim Coaches expires three years from either the date of the written exam or the date of the lifeguarding card, whichever is earlier. (For example, if the lifeguarding card has 18 months remaining at the time of submission to the LSC, Safety Training for Swim Coaches will also expire in 18 months.)