SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES
As of August 20, 2013, There is a new Safety Training for Swim Coaches Blended Learning Course developed and introduced by the Red Cross. There are important changes that affect your Safety Training renewal.
You do NOT need to renew First Aid Certification. A First Aid component is now included in Safety Training.
For Coaches with eligible Lifeguarding Certification:
1. Check your expiration date on your USA Swimming membership card or Deck Pass
2. Renew your Lifeguarding Certification
3. Complete the Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only course option. You can enroll in this online-only course at www.redcross.org/takeaclass. NOTE: In the Select a Class box, select Aquatics. Then click on Find Classes. On the next screen unselect Lifeguarding, then select Coaches Training. Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only will appear at the bottom of your screen. Click on Take This Class.
*** DO NOT USE THIS LINK UNLESS YOU HAVE A VALID LIFEGUARDING CERTIFICATE.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE VALID LIFEGUARDING CERTIFICATION, SEE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS.***
4. Present a valid, eligible Lifeguarding certificate and Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only certificate to your LSC.
For Coaches Who do not have a lifeguard certification and do not have access to an american red cross instructor
Coaches who are unable to find an ARC instructor to conduct the skills session can now contact a certified lifeguard instructor from another agency and present the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist to that instructor. The instructor must be certified by one of the agencies listed on the checklist.
1. Complete the STSC Online Content Only course option. Enroll in this course at www.redcross.org/takeaclass.
(Select a Class–Aquatics; then click on Find Classes. On the next screen unselect Lifeguarding, then select Coaches Training; Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only will appear at the bottom of your screen. Click on Take This Class. Print/save the Online Content Only certificate (not the certificate of the test score).
2. Find a certified lifeguard instructor from one of the organizations listed on the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist and arrange a time to meet the instructor at a pool. Take a copy of the ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate and the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist with you. Review and demonstrate the skills on the checklist
with the instructor; have the instructor sign the checklist. You need to sign it as well.
3. After completing the skills session, send the ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate and the STSC In Water Skills Checklist to your LSC registrar. Your STSC credential will be valid for two years.
For Coaches without Lifeguarding Certification AND HAVE ACCESS TO AN
AMERICAN RED CROSS INSTRUCTOR:
1. If you have a current Safety Training for Swim Coaches certificate, you are eligible for a review course. If you do not have a current STSC certificate, you must take the full course.
2. Register for a Safety Training for Swim Coaches course that is scheduled through a Red Cross participating aquatics facility.
a. If you cannot find a course, contact a Safety Training for Swim Coaches, Lifeguarding or Water Safety instructor at a Red Cross participating facility to get a course scheduled.
3. After you register, your instructor will send you a registration link to complete the online course content.
*** DO NOT register for or take THE ONLINE content only course on redcross.org PRIOR TO REGISTERING WITH AN INSTRUCTOR***
***AFTER YOU ENROLL with an instructor IN A FULL OR REVIEW COURSE, YOUR INSTRUCTOR WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH A REGISTRATION LINK TO THE COURSE THROUGH THE RED CROSS LEARNING CENTER.***
4. You must also complete an in-water skills session scheduled as part of the course. This session will be scheduled by the instructor: an abbreviated review course for those with current certification, a full skills session for those without current certification.
5. Upon successful completion of a Safety Training for Swim Coaches course, you will receive a Safety Training for Swim Coaches/First Aid certificate to submit to your LSC.
Red Cross Aquatic Representatives
If you are having a difficult time finding an instructor click here to find the Aquatic rep for American Red Cross in your area. They can help you find a facility and an instructor.
Please click here for a list of representatives.