OPEN WATER SELECT CAMP
USA Swimming offers 24 of the country's best distance swimmers the opportunity for a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is an intergral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water and then to the international scene.
Description and Purpose:
The 2014 National Open Water Camp is scheduled for June 10-14, 2014 and will coincide with USA Swimming's 10K National Open Water Championships in Wilmington, NC at Wrightsville Beach. USA Swimming seeks to identify the best distance swimmers, offering them a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is viewed as an integral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water, then to the international scene.
8 male and 8 female athletes will be selected off of the top 2013 times in the Swims database in the 1500 meter freestyle. An additional 4 male and 4 female athletes will be selected off of the results of the 2013 5K National Open Water Championships.
- Only Long Course times are considered.
- Qualification timeframe: January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013.
- Athlete must be registered with USA Swimming.
- All athletes must be US citizens.
- Athletes who have previously attended a National Open Water Select Camp or have been a member of any USA Swimming National Open Water Team are not eligible for Camp. Athletes can attend one National Open Water Select Camp. An athlete who turns down the opportunity would be eligible the following year if he/she still meets the criteria. An athlete who accepts the invitation and does not attend is not eligible the following year unless an alternate was able to attend in his/her place,
The camp location will be wherever the location is for the USA Swimming 10K National Championship.
The 2014 camp dates are June 10-14th.This year's camp will focus on the skills & strategies and will culminate with participation in the 10k National Championship. Athletes will learn strategies, OW technique, nutrition and recovery for open water, and much, much more from elite Open Water coaches.
USA Swimming will select a the staff for each camp. At least one male and one female assistant must be on the staff. In addition, one National Open Water Team athlete will attend the camp and at least one member of the USA Swimming National Headquarters staff will attend to assist with educational sessions.
This year’s 2014 National Open Water Select Camp Staff is to be determined.
The 2014 Camp will include long course workouts, salt water workouts and fresh water workouts in addition to educational sessions. The athletes will also be entered in the 10K National Championships and will represent their home teams. Athletes are required to stay the entire time and must stay onsite in the accommodations provided by the host. Tentative itinerary coming soon.
For more information please email Camp Director, Mariejo (MJ) Truex here.