By USA Swimming | Sunday, July 16, 2017
Women’s Open Water 10K – Final (Lake Balaton, Hungary)
Results – Full Results
Gold: Aurelie Muller (FRA), 2:00:13.7
Silver: Samantha Arevalo (ECU), 2:00:17.0
Bronze (tie): Arianna Bridi (ITA), 2:00:17.2
Bronze (tie): Ana Marcela Cunha (BRA), 2:00:17.2
6. Haley Anderson (Granite Bay, Calif./Trojan Swim Club), 2:00:25.9
10. Ashley Twichell (Fayetteville, N.Y./North Carolina Aquatic Club), 2:00:41.3
• The United States joined Italy as the only nations with two swimmers among the top 10 finishers.
• Twichell led the field at the 1K mark and swam among the top 10 for much of the race.
• Anderson was outside the top 20 swimmers at the 5K mark and steadily worked her way up to sixth at the finish.
• Muller swam out front for nearly the entire race en route to the victory.
• Anderson and Twichell also will compete in Wednesday’s women’s 5K. Anderson is the two-time defending world champion in the event, winning gold in 2013 and 2015.
Haley Anderson: (on her race): “It was pretty comfortable the whole way. I was strung out pretty far in the back and was going pretty easy for about 7K of it. I didn’t really feel like I had that extra gear at the end to do what I needed to do, but I put myself in a good position this time. Each race I’m learning, so I learned more in that race.”
Anderson (on Wednesday’s 5K): “I love the 5K, it’s half the distance. I’ve always done pretty well in it so I’m excited to defend my title again.”
Ashley Twichell: (on how her race played out): “I felt pretty good the first straightaway and then fed the first lap, which I don’t think a lot of people did. That got me a little bit behind and felt like I was playing catch up after that. I didn’t feed again, and I think that got me towards the end.”
Twichell: (on what she can take into Wednesday’s 5K): “I felt really strong. I felt like I died a bit because of not feeding, so I think I’ll be in really good shape for the 5K.”
Tuesday, July 18: Men’s 10K
No Results Found
This is used as a workaround to display Twitter feeds properly. Please do not modify or remove - Michael C