By USA Swimming | Tuesday, February 27, 2018USA Swimming today announced the names of the 48 up-and-coming athletes selected for the 12th Annual National Diversity Select Camp. The camp will be held May 3-6 at the U.S. Olympics Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.
The full list of camp participants may be found here. Forty-two different clubs from 22 states will be represented and alumni of the program include Olympic gold medalist Simone Manuel.
The purpose of the camp is to instill a vision of success and inspire athletes from ethnically under-represented populations to become leaders in the sport of swimming. Swimmers nationwide are selected to participate in the highly competitive three-day camp, which includes pool training, team-building activities, as well as motivational and educational sessions.
The goal of USA Swimming’s National Diversity Select Camp is to:
- Empower athletes from ethnically under-represented populations
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming
- Achieve performance excellence at every level of the sport
- Expound the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming
- Assist in recruiting more swimmers and coaches from diverse ethnicities to the sport of swimming
- Be positive leaders and role models that others from multicultural backgrounds can emulate
Originally created in the 1990s as an Outreach Camp, the National Diversity Select Camp was renamed in 2006. The camp hosts swimmers between the ages 14 and 16 and selection is based on times swum at USA Swimming sanctioned events. Each athlete selected for the camp will be provided complimentary room and board at the Olympic Training Center, ground transportation and full airfare to Colorado Springs.