By Jim Rusnak//Director of Media Properties | Tuesday, November 27, 2018
The 2018 USA Swimming Winter National Championships begin tomorrow and run through Saturday, Dec. 1 in Greensboro, N.C.
Here are some facts, figures and storylines to consider heading into the big meet:
- The qualifying period for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials begins Nov. 28 – the first day of Nationals. That means a number of swimmers will fulfill their lifelong dream of getting their first Olympic Trials cut in Greensboro.
- The official time standards for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials are pictured, right:
- Should they qualify, they’ll have 571 days from the first day of Nationals to the first day of Olympic Trials to prepare. That might seem like a lot of time, but those days will tick by fast.
- And while we’re at it, we might as well mention that there are only 605 days from the first day of Winter Nationals until the start of the 2020 Olympic Games.
- A number of Olympic medalists from the United States and Canada are expected to compete in Greensboro, including Katie Ledecky, Nathan Adrian, Simone Manuel, and Kevin Cordes.
- This week will be the second time Winter Nationals has been held in Greensboro. The Greensboro Aquatic Center also hosted the meet in 2014. It was also the site of the 2015 NCAA Division I Women’s Swimming and Diving Championship.
- Katie Ledecky holds the top times in the world this year in the 400, 800 and 1500m freestyle. She is also the world record-holder in each of these events. She is slated to swim the 400 and 800 in Greensboro, along with the 100 and 200m free.
- The last time Winter Nationals was held in long course meters was 2015, when Simone Manuel was a double winner in the 50m and 100m free. She is the American record-holder in these events and will be competing in both this week, along with the 200 free. Other 2015 National champions competing in Greensboro this week are Nathan Adrian, who won the 50 free, and Dana Vollmer, who won the 100 fly. Adrian will be competing in the 50 and 100m free this week. He is the Long Course Nationals record-holder in the 50. Vollmer will be competing in the 100 fly and 100 free. She is the American and LC Nationals record-holder in the 100 fly.