By Amy Padilla//Contributor | Friday, December 13, 2019
The Speedo Winter Junior Championships continued Thursday with Day 2 of hypersonic swims in distance and sprint events in Washington and Atlanta, including new meet records and a national age group record from the East.
Claire Curzan, 15, of TAC Titans set the 15-16 national age group record in the 50-yard freestyle, taking the top spot in that event in the East in 21.77.
Swim Atlanta’s Jake Magahey and Mason Manta Ray’s Carson Foster both broke meet records in their events, setting a new precedence for future Junior National swimmers.
Interestingly, the Women’s 50 free prelims included an abundance of swim offs in the East as well as the West. Gaby Vanbrunt of Georgia Coastal, Elysse Pardus of South Carolina, Hailey Galbrait of Spartan Aquatic, Sarah Evans of Indian River Aquatics, Sabrina Johnston of BGC-N. Westchest, Aubrey Chandler of Upper Palmetto, and Jacey Hinton of Crimson Aquatics all battled it out for the top spot in their heat at the Georgia Tech Campus Recreation Center. Vanbrunt surged ahead with a time of 22.92, which placed her in the top eight to qualify for finals.
On the West coast, there were three swim offs of the Women’s 50 free prelims, which included Ella Mazurek of Quicksilver Swim, Gracie Felner of Bellevue, and Kaitlyn Owens from Magnolia Aquatics in the first race; Lexi Duchsherer from AquaStorm versus Grace Hanson in the second contest; and Teia Salvino of Paseo Aquatics against Ella Ristic in the final match. All swimmers came within hundredths of a second of each other at the touch.
Thursday’s winners from the 2019 Speedo Winter Junior Championships – East:
- Women’s 500 free: Abigail McCulloh (SwimAtlanta), 4:41.53
- Men’s 500 free: Jake Magahey (SwimAtlanta), 4:12.72 (Meet Record)
- Women’s 200 IM: Abby Arens (Marlins of Ralei), 1:56.48
- Men’s 200 IM: Carson Foster (Mason Manta Rays), 1:42.43 (Meet Record)
- Women’s 50 free: Claire Curzan (TAC Titans), 21.77 (National Age Group Record)
- Men’s 50 free: Jack Aikins (SwimAtlanta), 19.86
- Women’s 400 Medley Relay: Dynamo Swim Club, 3:37.00
- Men’s 400 Medley Relay: Mason Manta Rays, 3:13.47
- Women’s 500 free: Ashley Strouse (Scottsdale), 4:42.75
- Men’s 500 free: Coby Carrozza (Longhorn Aquatics), 4:14.95
- Women’s 200 IM: Isabelle Stadden (Aquajets Swim Team), 1:56.55
- Men’s 200 IM: Tyler Lu (Seattle Metropolitan), 1:44.87
- Women’s 50 free: Kaitlyn Dobler (The Dolphins Portland), 22.21
- Men’s 50 free: Aiden Hayes (Sooner Swim Club), 19.58
- Women’s 400 Medley Relay: University of Denver, 3:38.34
- Men’s 400 Medley Relay: Peak Swimming, 3:12.87
Visit USASwimming.org to watch Day 3 of the East prelims at 9 a.m. and finals at 4:50 p.m. Eastern standard time. View the West prelims at 9 p.m., followed by the finals at 4:50 p.m. Pacific.