By Amy Padilla//Contributor | Sunday, December 15, 2019
The final day of the Speedo Winter Junior Championships proved to be another exciting instance of fast swims and best times for the young athletes in the East and the West.
Josh Matheny from Team Pittsburgh (East) and Ben Dillard from the Sierra Marlins (West) both conquered meet records in the 200 breast with times of 1:52.12 and 1:54.74, respectively. Claire Curzan continued her winning streak on to the last day of Junior Nationals, claiming victories in both the 100 free and the 200 fly.
Scottsdale’s Ashley Strouse illustrated her versatility in the pool after helping her team claim a win in the 200 free relay on Wednesday, and then achieving another triumph in the women’s 500 free on Thursday and the 1650 free on Saturday. There were also double wins at this meet from Abby Arens and Jake Magahey from SwimAtlanta, Isabelle Stadden from Seattle Metropolitan, and Aiden Hayes from Sooner Swim Club.
Check out Saturday’s winners from the East:
- Women’s 1650 free: Abigail McCulloh (SwimAtlanta), 16:09.55
- Men’s 1650 free: Jake Magahey (SwimAtlanta), 14:51.76
- Women’s 200 back: Rye Ulett (Dynamo Swim Club), 1:53.68
- Men’s 200 back: Wyatt Davis (Carmel Swim Club), 1:40.85
- Women’s 100 free: Claire Curzan (TAC Titans), 47.85
- Men’s 100 free: Jack Alexy (Somerset Hills), 42.87
- Women’s 200 breast: Abby Arens (Marlins of Ralei), 2:09.49
- Men’s 200 breast: Josh Matheny (Team Pittsburgh), 1:52.12
- Women’s 200 fly: Claire Curzan (TAC Titans), 1:54.36
- Men’s 200 fly: Matthew Fenlon (Badger Swim Club), 1:42.53
- Women’s 400 free relay: Aquatic Team of NC, 3:18.70
- Men’s 400 free relay: SwimAtlanta, 2:56.76
- Women’s 1650 free: Ashley Strouse (Scottsdale Aquatics), 16:14.84
- Men’s 1650 free: David Johnston (Rockwall Aquatics), 14:51.42
- Women’s 200 back: Isabelle Stadden (Aquajets Swim Team), 1:50.50
- Men’s 200 back: Keaton Jones (Swim Neptune), 1:42.81
- Women’s 100 free: Amy Tang (Unattached), 48.11
- Men’s 100 free: Matt King (Bellevue Club Swim), 43.22
- Women’s 200 breast: Kaitlyn Dobler (The Dolphins), 2:09.50
- Men’s 200 breast: Ben Dillard (Sierra Marlins), 1:54.74
- Women’s 200 fly: Justina Kozan (Brea Aquatics), 1:54.75
- Men’s 200 fly: Aiden Hayes (Sooner Swim Club), 1:41.34
- Women’s 400 free relay: Lakeside Aquatics, 3:20.21
- Men’s 400 free relay: Rose Bowl Aquatics, 2:58.95
To view the previously recorded events from the Speedo Winter Junior Championships meet, go to USASwimming.org.