By USA Swimming | Monday, March 23, 2020
As a result of the closures of many facilities due to COVID-19, coaches may find it difficult to renew some certifications. The following steps are being taken to assist with this issue for coaches whose Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020:
For agencies that are granting certification extensions
Submit the following to your LSC registrar:
- Any correspondence from the agency that provides specific information about the extension, including the new expiration date(s). Examples of correspondence include provisional/temporary certificates, email notifications from the agency, etc.
- A copy of your Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications showing an expiration date within the dates stated above.
For certifications from any agency that does not grant an extension - USA Swimming is granting an extension until July 31, 2020, for coaches whose Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020.
Please note the following:
- For CPR/AED and In-Water Safety Training certifications that expire during that timeframe, SWIMS and Deck Pass will be updated to reflect the new expiration date of 7/31/2020.
- Programming changes are necessary and will be done as soon as possible. In the meantime, coaches may receive reminders about expiring certifications until the current expiration dates are rolled forward to 7/31/2020.
- Any coaches who are able to renew the certifications listed above should send their updated certificates to their LSC registrar as usual.
It is also important to note that other certifications and membership requirements must be updated on or before their current expiration date for courses that are completed online. These courses include Athlete Protection Training, background checks, Coaches Advantage Training, and online Safety Training for Swim Coaches.